Catering Department - Places to Eat
Catering is a hospitality department charged with responsibilities of offering essential catering services, first and foremost to student, University employees, University guests and walk-in-visitors. Before 1992, the department was fully a free service provider to the students and table dehôte menu was used. Later on in 1996, the department became an income-generating entity and a PAYE (Pay as you Eat), cafeteria system was adopted to date. A customer selects and pays for his/her meal before service is done.
NJORO MAIN CAMPUS
The department is composed of:-
- Upper mess with 3 spacious dining halls –Simba, Chui, and Kiboko/New Dining hall of which has approximate area of 4900 square feet.
- A red carpet guest wing is adjacent to Simba Restaurant. Simba and guest wing are mainly used by visitors and staff and students.
- Kennedy Hall is between Thornton and Mama Ngina hostels for ladies.
- FASS cafeteria(Tsavo) is situated in Faculty of Social Sciences just opposite Dairy Plant on the way to Tatton hostels. Teaching staff prefer eating here.
The self-motivated professional workers embrace character, honesty, transparency, accountability and integrity. Yearn for efficiency is an effective drive to uphold set standards which characterize competitiveness. We endeavor to shine out our internal and public universities competitors in all our services.
- Complimenting other departmental services aimed at attainance of the University vision of becoming a world class University for the advancement of humanity (VISION 2030) and the transformation of lives through provision of quality foods.
- Outside catering in special formal/informal functions both within and without.
- Facilitate hiring of the catering facilities.
- Provide attachment and internship opportunities.
- Meal Plan with student during religious events.
- Set and maintain standards of cleanliness and other quality services
- Facilitate staff medical check-ups regularly
- Care and Maintenance of Plant and Equipment.
MODE OF SERVICE
- We operate the Pay As You Eat (PAYE) cafeteria system. This is a queuing system. The customer quickly compiles their menu from individually pocket friendly priced delicious dishes and pays before service. Till Mpesa available and encouraged.
- Waiter service is carried out during special functions and at Mara Guest Wing Restaurant and for students /customers with disability.
This is the largest unit comprising of three spacious restaurants that include:
A staff cafeteria with a sitting capacity of 500 people.
Chui and Kiboko
Both are student cafeteria each with a sitting capacity of 500 students.
JF Kennedy Restaurant
Located near Mama Ngina ladies hostel with a sitting capacity of 500 people.
Situated at Faculty of Arts building with sitting capacity of 64 people.
Situated next to the new hostels and Maringo,has the sitting capacity of 100 customers.
MEAL TIMES (STUDENTS)
Monday through Sunday throughout the year
- Breakfast from -6.45 a.m. (Sundays/Public holidays)
- Lunch-meals from 10.00am.-10.00 p.m.
- Snacks 00 a.m-10.00 p.m.
STAFF / VISITORS
Monday - Friday - 8.30 a.m. – 5.00 p.m.-(Simba)
Lunch - 8.30AM0 a.m. - 4.00 p.m. (Tsavo)
Mara Restaurant Guest wing - 9.00am to 4.30pm
Monday to Friday. Closed during public holidays
We welcome and embrace constructive comments channeled through any of the supervisors and or suggestion boxes.
Arrangements for pre-paid meal services can be paid through KCB Catering A/C 1101862920
DO NOT MISS OUR COMMENDABLE POCKET FRIENDLY SERVICES WHICH ARE CUSTOMER ORIENTED. NO REGRETS!!
Catering department –The world Hospitality Entity