STUDENT AFFAIRS DEPARTMENT
The Student Affairs Department under the Division of Academic Affairs comprises of the following sections headed by the Office of the Dean of Students:
- Dean of students Office – Headed by the Dean of Students: Dr Japhet Mburugu Muthamia
- Counselling section –Headed by Coordinator: Mr Keton Kipkorir
- Sports and Games section -Headed by Coordinator: Susan Jemutai
- Chaplaincy section- Headed by the University Chaplain: Rev. Dr. Samuel Nduati
- Student Leadership Development Program - Headed by Coordinator: Rose Chumba
ABOUT THE OFFICE OF THE DEAN OF STUDENTS
The Dean of Students coordinates all the activities of the department and represents the department in the University Senate and other organs of the University.
THE MANDATE OF THE DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT AFFAIRS
- To develop, nurture and promote an enabling environment that supports and enhances both the academic pursuits and other development processes of students.
- To offer services catering for the general welfare of students.
- To develop and implement programmes and activities that assist students to develop their physical, psychological, social, and spiritual and leadership capabilities.
- To liaise with other University Departments to ensure that each and every student achieves his/her full potential and prepare them for the challenges ofadulthood.
- To serve as an advocate for students by assuring that interests of students are served in strategic aspects of University operations.
- To develop a community life by designing programmes and activities that nurture and encourage a strong sense of belonging among students, staff and the surroundingcommunity.
- To promote and expand knowledge about the characteristics of students and the factors that affect their growth and success, and also advise the rest of the university fraternity on the same as deemed necessary for the welfare ofstudents.
FUNCTIONS AND SERVICES OFFERED
Services offered in the department include:
- Student Counseling (group and individual).
- Overseeing the Egerton University Students Association.
- Registration of Students’ Clubs.
- Career advice and Guidance.
- Public Educative Lectures.
- Sports and games.
- Student Financial Aid.
- Partnership with the HELB (Higher Education Loans Board)
- Orientation of first year students.
- Partnership with other university department
All these activities are managed by the Dean of Students Management team that includes:
- The Dean of Students
- Assistant Dean of Students-Welfare
- Assistant Dean of Students-Academic
- Assistant Dean of Students-NTCC
- University Chaplain
- Coordinator, Counselling
- Coordinator, Sports and Games
- Coordinator, Student Leadership Development Programme
- Senior Administrative Assistant