Our Mandate and Philosophy
The mandate of the University, as provided by The Universities Act No. 42 of 2012, includes:
- Advancement of knowledge through teaching, scholarly research and scientific investigation
- Promotion of learning in the student body and society generally
- Promotion of cultural and social life of society
- Support and contribution to the realization of national economic and social development
- Promotion of the highest standards in, and quality of, teaching and research
- Education, training and retraining higher level professional, technical and management personnel
- Dissemination of the outcomes of the research conducted by the university to the general community
- Facilitation of life-long learning through provision of adult and continuing education
- Fostering of a capacity for independent critical thinking among its students
- Promotion of gender balance and equality of opportunity among students and employees.
- Promotion of equalization for persons with disabilities, minorities and other marginalized groups.