The Egerton University Senate
Senate is established under Section 35 of the Act and Section 19 of the Charter
Duties and Functions of the Senate.
The Senate have the powers and duties to:
- Satisfy itself regarding the content and academic standard of any course of study in respect of any degree, diploma, certificate or other award of the University, and to report its findings thereon to the Council;
- Propose regulations to be made by the Council regarding the eligibility of persons for admission to a programme of study;
- Propose regulations to be made by the Council regarding the standard of proficiency to be gained in each examination for a degree, diploma, certificate or other award of the University;
- Decide which persons have attained the prescribed standard of proficiency and are otherwise fit to be granted a degree, diploma, certificate or other award of the University;
- Initiate the development of Statutes and proposals relating to the conduct of the University generally, discuss any matter relating to the University, and make representations thereon to the Council;
- Make regulations governing such other matters as are within its powers in accordance with the Charter or the Statutes.
- The Senate shall also perform any other duty conferred by the Charter or the Statutes.
- The Vice-Chancellor, who shall be the Chairperson;
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellors;
- The Principals of Colleges;
- The Deputy Principals of Colleges;
- The Registrars, of whom the Registrar (Academic Affairs) shall serve as Secretary;
- The Finance and Accounts Controller;
- The Dean of Students;
- Deans of Faculties and Directors of Institutes and Schools;
- Directors of Directorates; Director of Time Tabling;
- Chairpersons of Departments;
- Two members elected by the Academic Board of each Constituent College from among the members of that Board;
- The Librarian;
- Associate Deans of Faculties;
- Two members elected by the Students' Union; except that the members of the Students' Association shall not be entitled to attend deliberations of the Senate on matters relating to examination results;
- Any other member as may be identified from time to time.
- Deans' Committee;
- Students' Welfare Committee;
- Students Disciplinary Committee;
- Board of Postgraduate Studies;
- Board of Undergraduate Studies and Field Attachment;
- Bookshop and Library Committee;
- Any other committees as Senate may deem fit.