Entry Requirements for Masters Programmes
Application forms may be obtained from the Director, Board of Postgraduate studies upon payment of a prescribed Non-refundable fee and returned duly
- All applicants for registration shall be processed in the first instance through the relevant Department in which registration is sought. The Department shall then
forward all such applications with appropriate comments to the Faculty board concerned for approval Egerton University Statutes 2008 51 and onward transmission to the Board of Postgraduate studies.
- Applicants shall be admitted to only one Degree programme at a time.
- Admission shall be confirmed by letter from the Direct, Board of Postgraduate Studies
- Admission shall be offered to holders of a Bachelor's Degree with an Upper Second Class Honours or above or equivalent qualification from recognized Institutions.
- In exceptional cases, the Senate may also admit to the Master's programme a non-holder of Upper Second Class Honours provided that such candidate can, on the basis of the research and other scholarly work done, demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Senate qualification to undertake postgraduate studies.
- Subject to approval by the Senate, Departments may formulate regulations requiring applicants to have attained other academic qualifications as may be consistent with the goals of their Master's programmes or to appear for an interview to determine their suitability for admission. (See annex Pre-masters)
- In exceptional cases, holder of lower second class honor may be admitted if they have two years of relevant experience.
Entry Requirements for Doctorate Programs
Candidates wishing to pursue a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) programme at Egerton University must meet the following requirements;
a) Have appropriate preparatory academic training as evidenced by at least one of the following:
- Be a holder of a Master's Degree of Egerton University
- Be a holder of a Master's Degree or an equivalent academic qualification of any other recognized institution.
- Be a candidate enrolled for a Master's Degree in Egerton University for at least one year who has to the satisfaction of the Senate shown exceptional progress in the Research Work to merit upgrading.
- Be a holder of a Bachelor's Degree whom the Senate has specially exempted from the Master's programme.
b) Fulfill specific requirements as maybe stipulated by respective Department, Faculty/School/Institute/Campus with regard to the field of study.
APPLICATION AND ADMISSION PROCEDURES
Application forms may be obtained from the Director,Board of Graduate Studies upon payment of a prescribed Non-refundable fee and returned duly completed.
Where a candidate is to pursue the programme by Research/thesis only, the candidate will be required to
present a Research Proposal together with the application for registration.
Where the candidate is to pursue the programme by Coursework, Examination and thesis, the candidate shall be required to submit a brief summary of the intended area of study together with the Application Forms. A full Research Proposal shall be submitted within three (3) months or registration.
All applications for registration shall be processed in the first instance through the relevant Department in which registration is sought. The Department shall then forward all such applications with appropriate comments to the Faculty/School Institute/Campus Board concerned for approval and onward transmission
to the Board of Postgraduate Studies.
Before recommending a candidate for registration, the Department and Faculty/School/Institute/Campus Board concerned shall ensure that:
- The proposed field of study is academically sound and can successfully be pursued and supervised.
- There exist adequate facilities and resources for effective research
- The appropriate fees have been paid.
The closing date for receiving applications for the all programmes shall be as determined by the Senate from time to time.
Enquiries for all programmes offered should be made to;
The Registrar (AcademicAffairs),