Crop Management Research Training - CMRT
Crop Management Research Training (CMRT) is headed by a Director who is the administrative and program head. The Director is assisted on the day-to-day administrative matters by a Senior Secretary and an Accounts Clerk. The Director is responsible for policy formulation, developing and negotiating performance annual targets, resource mobilization and forging strategic partnerships, linkages and collaborations. The Directorate heartily welcomes all of you to visit our webpage to explore the training, research, outreach and networking activities and facilities. Guided by our rich history of quality services, the future can only be one of boundless opportunities.
Location of CMRT:
The facility is situated in the rich farming heartland of the Nakuru countryside at Egerton University. Egerton University is one of the oldest agricultural training institutions in East and Central Africa and is located in the Great Rift Valley, 22Km SW of the Nakuru town. Nakuru is 160Km NW of the Nairobi City and is easily accessible by road. The Campus is set on a beautiful landscape on the western slopes of the Rift Valley at 2 240 m.a.s.l. It is situated in an agricultural productive area and has a pleasant weather all year round.
A leading training, outreach and skills enhancement centre for advancement of agricultural innovations and development in Africa
To build and integrate human capacity in agriculture for improved agricultural productivity, livelihoods and conservation of natural resources
Core Values (five clusters):
- Integrity, Transparency and Accountability
- Passion for Excellence and Devotion to Duty
- To drive national, regional and continental capacity enhancement in agricultural support services and emerging issues.
- To build national, regional and continental capacity in agricultural research methods, dissemination of findings and sustainable use and management of agrobiodiversity.
- To develop agricultural information management systems for efficient delivery of agricultural services.
- To develop national, regional and continental partnerships, networks and collaborations in agricultural training, research, outreach and information systems.
- To ensure financial sustainability through an effective resource mobilization strategy.
- To guarantee quality of processes, products and services.
To enhance the capacity of National Agricultural Research Systems (NARS) in sub-Saharan Africa to effectively conduct training, research and outreach in crop, livestock and related natural sciences.
CMRT is a semi-autonomous entity housed at the Utafiti Complex which comprises of offices, sixty (60) modern self-contained rooms, well equipped conference / seminar halls (seating capacity: 50-100), smaller meeting rooms for group sessions, well equipped Computer Lab and The Essential Electronic Agricultural Library (TEEAL). These facilities have proven quite useful in hosting of short training courses (soft skills, technical and community empowerment), scientists on exchange programs, postdoctoral fellows, thematic groups and lately e-enabled virtual trainings and meetings.
CMRT in partnership with Departments, Centres of Excellence, ARC Hotel and Scientists at Egerton University and other stakeholders offer the under listed courses and services:
Short Courses-Soft skills enhancement
- Participatory Research Methodologies
- Agricultural Value Chains Development
- Project Planning and Management
- Pandemic Preparedness: a One Health Approach
- Gender Inclusivity in Agricultural Research
- Competitive Grant and Scientific Writing
- Plant Tissue Culture and Biotechnology
- Agrobiodiversity and Organic Farming
- Soil and Plant Analysis
- Integrated Pest and Disease Management
- Post-Harvest Technologies and Food Safety
- Livestock Production, Genetics and Breeding
- Business Plan Development
- Cow Signals
- Conservation Agriculture
- Dairy Cattle Production, and
- Animal Feeds Formulation among others.
Hosting of Research, Outreach and Consultancy Projects
CMRT has excellent financial and administrative system that manager research, outreach and consultancy projects carried out by Scientists from Eegerton University and Partner Organisations.
Conference and Seminar Facilities
The Utafiti Complex offers:
- Office space for secretarial and related support services
- Serene environment for scholarly and resource mobilization work
- Well-equipped conference/seminar halls with seating capacity of 50-100 and smaller rooms for group discussions
- Access to Research Library with current journal titles in agriculture and related fields via The Essential Electronic Agricultural Library (TEEAL), and
- Access to Computer Laboratory and e-Connectivity (Internet services).
The Utafiti Complex houses sixty (60) self-contained rooms, a cafeteria and is annexed to the 3-star ARC Hotel for excellent dining services. As part of the accommodation, residents enjoy quality laundry services and a free secure car parking within the complex grounds.
The Utafiti Complex enables resident guests to access:
- Comfortably furnished DSTV/video lounge with a variety of indoor games
- Out-door sporting facilities
- Coffee bar by the poolside at the ARC Hotel
- Quite lounge with bar facilities at the ARC Hotel
Vehicles including 4-WD Land Cruisers, Omnibus and Buses are available for hire at competitive rates. CMRT offers airport transfer services and other transport logistics for guests.