12th September, 2022
NOTICE TO ALL STUDENTS
The 2022 Egerton University Chancellor’s Essay Writing Competition
RULES AND REGULATIONS
On 12 September 2022, the Office of the Vice-Chancellor announced “The 2022 Egerton University Chancellor’s Essay Writing Competition”. The Competition is open to all Egerton University undergraduate students.
The topic of the Competition is “International Migration”.
There shall be five winners, who will be awarded the following prizes: First Prize: KES 50,000; Second Prize: KES 40,000; Third Prize: KES 30,000; Fourth Prize: KES 20,000; and Fifth Prize: KES 10,000.
The Competition shall be hosted and administered by the Department of Literature, Languages and Linguistics, Egerton University.
Rules and Regulations
- The Competition shall be limited to Egerton University undergraduate students. Participants must be bona fide students of Egerton University at the time of submission of the essay.
- Participants must adhere to all the rules and regulations pertaining to the Competition.
- Registration and Induction
- Upon the announcement of the Competition, each participant must register at the Department of Literature, Languages and Linguistics by entering their particulars on a List of Participants designed by the Department. Each participant must present own student ID at Registration.
- Registered students shall have an opportunity to attend an induction session on essay writing conducted by the Department of Literature, Languages and Linguistics.
- The induction shall take place on Monday 10 October 2022 in FASS Theatre II at 2:00-3:00 pm.
- Entry Rules
The essay must be:
- Written in English.
- The author’s original work and must not have been published as an essay or in any other form before.
- On the assigned topic, “International Migration”.
- Free of any plagiarism. If detected, plagiarism shall lead to an automatic disqualification.
- Only one per participant.
- Submitted before or on Friday 4 November 2022 at 5:00 pm. Any essay that misses the deadline shall not be accepted.
The essay must be:
- Between 1,300 and 1,500 words, excluding the title.
- Submitted in hard copy only.
- Typed in Times New Roman 12 point font, and double-spaced.
- Paginated, with page numbers centred at the bottom of the page.
- Given a short title shown as a header at the top right-hand corner of each page.
- Given a separate cover page containing: a) The title of the essay; b) The name of the author; c) The student’s Registration Number; d) The contacts of the author, i.e. the telephone number and the email address.
- Such that the first page of the body of the essay must contain: a) The title of the essay (centred) and b) The word count (excluding the title).
- Paginated starting with the body of the essay.
- Formatted according to the guidelines given.
- Any essay which does not adhere to the foregoing formatting shall be disqualified.
- Submission of the Essay
The essay must be:
- Put in an envelope with the following imprint: The 2022 Egerton University Chancellor’s Essay Writing Competition. The name of the author and the title of the essay MUST NOT be included on the envelope.
- Addressed as follows: The Chair, Department of Literature, Languages and Linguistics, Egerton University, P.O. Box 536-2115, Egerton, KENYA.
- Submitted by post office address or be hand-delivered to the Department.
- The Selection Process
- The essays shall be assessed by a five-member Panel of Judges from the Department of Literature, Languages and Linguistics.
- The essays shall be assessed according to the:
- Depth of thought involved in the writing;
- Creativity displayed;
- Quality of the writing;
- Organisation of the essay, including the introduction, the body, and the conclusion;
- Justification of arguments;
- Unification, development, and coherence of the paragraphs.
- Punctuation, spelling, and diction.
- The decision of the Panel of Judges on the winning essays shall be final.
- The Essay Prize winners shall be announced and the prizes presented to them during the November/December 2022 Graduation Ceremony.
- The wining essays shall be published on the University website.
- Contact Information
For any clarifications you may need, please contact The Chair, Department of Literature, Languages and Linguistics, Dr Joseph Walunywa, at firstname.lastname@example.org before Registration.