NAME : MUTAI JOHN KIPRONO
DATE OF BIRTH : 15TH FEBRUARY, 1963
NATIONALITY : KENYAN
TELEPHONE : 0722945796
EDUCATION AND EMPLOYMENT.
1970-1976 Kipkelion Township School C.P.E
1977-1980 T.Towett Secondary School K.C.E - Div.1
1981-1982 Kabianga High School K.A.C.E- 3 Principals 1Subsidiary
1984-1987 University of Nairobi B.A. (Hon) Geography 2nd Class
1987-1989 University of Nairobi M.A. (Planning) Urban and Regional
1990 Appointed as Assistant Lecturer in the Department of Geography –
1991 Promoted to Lecturer and continue to serve in the same department.
MEMBERSHIP TO PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS.
§ In the process of registration as a Member- Kenya Institute of Planners (KIP).
SEMINARS/ CONFERENCES/ TRAININGS ATTENDED.
§ International workshop on Regional Planning of Mombasa and the Coastal Region.18th -22nd May 1992 –Mombasa.
§ Training on Proposal writing, data collection and analysis. KUTERA-IDRC Project –Kunste Hotel Nakuru. 14th -20th Nov. 1994.
§ Special Seminars on Rural/Regional Development –Div. of Research –Egerton University. Presented a paper on “Decentralized Spatial Planning in Kenya: Planning and design dilemma”. ARC –Egerton University -1996.
§ Workshop for Rift Valley Province Physical Planners. Lake Nakuru National Park Institute – Nakuru.25th -26th May 2002.
§ Teaching Materials writers’ workshop (College of Open and Distance Learning).13th -22nd November 2007. Utafiti Hall, Egerton University.
§ Pedagogy workshop course. 28th -30th May 2009. Div. of Research and Extension –Egerton University –Njoro.
§ Attended Secondary Schools Instructional Materials Management workshop. 24th -26th May 2009. Min. of Education –at Rift Valley Inst. of Science and Technology.
§ Research Proposal writing workshop. 24th -26th March 2009. CMRT Conference Hall –Egerton University.
§ Attended Information and Communication Technology workshop -20th May 2009. ICT -Egerton University.
§ Workshop on Capacity enhancement in Research Publication for Egerton University Academic staff. 18th -19th April 2011. CMRT –Egerton University.
COMMUNITY SERVICES/ ACTIVITIES.
16TH June 2005-June 2008 - Member Board of Governors Taita Towett Secondary School -
30th July 2008 - July 2011 - Member Board of Governors Taita Towett Secondary School-
23rdFeb2010 –June 2011 - Member and Chairman Board of Governors Kipkelion Girls
RESEARCH PROJECTS COMPLETED.
1. ”A geographical appraisal of milk production in Kipkelion Division- Kericho District.” B.A. Geography Dissertation. University of Nairobi, 1987.
2. “Implementation of Ft.Ternan Water Project-Kipkelion Division –Kericho District”. A Rural Implementation Project –Dept. of Urban and Regional Planning, Univ. of Nairobi 1988.
3. “Implementation of Kericho Town Supply Project Phase II.” An Urban Implementation Project –Dept. of Urban and Regional Planning. Univ. of Nairobi -1989.
4. “Meeting housing demand in small and medium sized towns in Kenya: A case study of Kericho-Kenya.’’ An M.A. Planning Thesis. University of Nairobi-1989.
5. “Effects of Planning Laws and Municipal by-laws on urban agriculture in Nakuru Municipality –Kenya.” Division of Research and Extension -Egerton University -2012.
RESEARCH PROPOSALS PREPARED.
1. “The need for environmental education in Solid Waste Management in Nakuru Municipality –Kenya.” Submitted to Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania (KUTERA) –IDRC Project -1994. (Invited to a Training workshop.)
2. ”Wildlife-Man and Competition for land in Narok District –Kenya.” Submitted to African Rural Social Science Research Network (ASSRN)-1997.
3. ”Integrating community participation in urban slum areas environmental management programs. A case study of Nakuru-Kenya.” Submitted to Organization for Social Science Research in Eastern and Southern Africa –OSSREA -1998. (12th Competition).
4. ”Land use dynamics and planning problems in the rural-urban fringe of Nakuru Town –Kenya”. PhD Research proposal to the Graduate School –Moi University -1997. (Admitted to the program.)
5. ”Reconciling conflicting Land Uses in Lake Nakuru catchment areas. Challenges in environmental Planning and management.” Submitted to UNESCO Chair on Bioethics-Egerton University- 2000.
6. “The effects of planning laws and municipal by-laws on urban agriculture in Nakuru Municipality – Kenya.” A research proposal submitted for PhD registration –Graduate School –Egerton University (2012) and Division of Research and Extension –Egerton University (internal funding research Projects –Funded).
RESEARCH PAPERS UNDER PUBLICATION/ PUBLISHED.
1. ”Vanishing open/ recreational spaces in Nakuru Municipality –challenges in urban environmental Planning and management.)
2. ”Vandalism of Steel Manhole covers in Nakuru Municipality –Kenya.”
3. “The effects of planning laws and Municipal by laws on urban agriculture in Nakuru Municipality – Kenya.”
Sustainable urban and rural land use planning, management and development.
PROF. R.A. Obudho.
Department of Urban and Regional Planning
University of Nairobi
Department of Geography
Dr. Otieno, J.O.
Department of Geography